At its regular meeting held via teleconference on Monday, May 11, 2020, Sarnia City Council:
· Authorized Staff to proceed with the following transfers:
- The amount of $638,423 from the 6581 Operating Contingency Reserve to cover the 2019 preliminary Operating deficit.
- The 2019 preliminary Sarnia Police Services operating surplus of $335,533 to the 6565 Police Operating Contingency Reserve Fund.
- The 2019 preliminary Sanitary Sewer surplus of $46,053 to the 6590 Sewer Rates Stabilization Reserve.
- The 2019 preliminary Water surplus of $162,050 to the 6450 Water Rates Stabilization Reserve.
· Received the Q1 Budget Status Report for the period ending March 31, 2020.
· Accepted the following mitigation strategies to provide financial relief to community members in light of the COVID-19 Pandemic Emergency and directed Staff to:
- Waive the $40 NSF fee to anyone whose May and June monthly PAP payment is returned.
- Waive the penalty and interest charges on property taxes until June 30, 2020.
- Waive the late fees on utilities (water and sewer only) until June 30, 2020.
- Waive the late fees on miscellaneous invoices until June 30, 2020.
- Extend the validity of current parking passes by the number of months of the Emergency Declaration.
- Defer rent on its leased premises and land until June 30, 2020 with the stipulation that the businesses or non-profits apply for COVID funding from upper levels of government. Any funding received is to be reported and submitted to the City in lieu of rent.
- Reduce the Sarnia Sting fees by $14,918.47 ($126,807 * 4/34), which is the equivalent value of the gate fee portion of the lease payment for 4 games.
· Adopted a By-Law to identify a special service and to authorize a special local municipal levy and tax rate for repayment of the costs of construction for the Donohue Bridge.
· Appointed the Canadian Radiocommunications Information and Notification Service (CRINS-SINRC) as the designated representative to receive and process all applications for radiocommunications facilities on behalf of the City of Sarnia.
· Authorized and endorsed the hosting of Public Meetings online in order to meet Planning Act and Drainage Act requirements for applications that require Council and Committee of Adjustment decisions.
· Adopted the By-Law to Levy Taxes for the Year 2020.
· Received information regarding an update on the 2020 Lead Reduction Program.
· The next Regular Council Meeting will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Monday, June 1, 2020.